The Department of Neighborhood Empowerment is excited to announce IgniteLA, a program for young women that builds civic knowledge and leadership skills to bolster civic engagement.
Angelenas who complete the IgniteLA program will be ready to EmpowerLA by joining their Neighborhood Council Boards and Committees.
IgniteLA is a non-partisan program whose mission is to empower every young woman interested in public service with the political and practical skills she needs to be a successful civic leader.
Young women between the ages of 14-24 who are interested in government and public service.
The first and second Mondays of each month, twice per month for three months from February 2018 through April 2018 from 5:00pm -7:30pm.
IgniteLA will take place in 4 regional locations: the Valley, West Los Angeles, South Los Angeles/Harbor and Downtown Los Angeles.
January 15th– Application Deadline
January 19th– Decision Notification
February 5th– Session 1
February 12th– Session 2
March 5th– Session 3
March 12th– Session 4
April 2nd– Session 5
April 9th– Session 6
By the end of this program, young women will:
- Actively engage in the political process and assert and demonstrate their beliefs in the public arena
- Actively listen to the perspectives of people they agree with and disagree with in order to clarify their own beliefs
- Use civil discourse as a means to understand others’ viewpoints, clarify personal positions, and advocate and lobby for issues they care about
- Be a part of the movement toward gender parity with equal numbers of women in office across all political parties and levels of government
- Join their Neighborhood Council Boards and Committees
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.